Sunday 22 February 2015

First nest of the year

Last Tuesday, thanks to the good whether and clear sky I decided to go to the oxford botanic garden. First I set up a spot where I could just wait and after I while the wildlife started to settle back down and get closer. The first bird ton catch my eye was a long-tailed tit, taking lichen and moss into a gorse bush. after they had left I went to investigate. It was a small hollowed out ball thing, made out of spiders' webs, lichen, etc... It had probable been started last week or the week before but when finished should have a roof. Among the nest found, there was a magpie nest, with an impressive half dome over the top, and a blackbird nest (no eggs yet). No nests or birds were disturbed. In among this searching, I also saw:

Blue tits
Great tits
Coal tits
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Nuthatch
Canada geese
Greylag geese
Mallards
Gooseanders
Black-headed gulls
Jackdaws 
Crows
Magpie
Dunnuck 
Robin
Wren
Goldcrest
Moorhen






















There was also a fox that ran about 2m away from some undergrowth. It was a bit of a shock!!!. It looked though, like there had been a badger there the night before, because of some fresh prints. I got a few films and stills.

No comments:

Post a Comment