Thursday 9 April 2015

Signs of Spring

With the rapidly increasing temperature I have been able to get out more and see the changes that have been going on outside. The early trees, Willow and Hawthorn, have already got leaves on and are getting the attention of nesting birds and some resent migrants. I went out this morning on my bike not expecting to see much, maybe a chiffchaff and the odd thrush. So it was a bit of a surprise when a Blackcap few within meter of me and perched in a near by tree as if he owned the place. It was a bit of a struggle to get my camera out from my bag so the pictures weren't to good.

 Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla)

Willow Warbler (Phylloscopus trochilus)

Having been round the lake twice I was about to call it a day, when I heard the unmistakable song of a Willow warbler (a falling pitch of notes). It took a while but after chasing the song round the reserve I finally got a quick glimpse of it in, guess what, a willow tree. But there have been more than just some summer arrivals. Woodpigeons have started nesting in near by pines and the Long-tailed tit nest I mentioned in my last post has got eggs in it. These though are not the earliest there has been a blackbird nest in the Oxford botanic garden with chicks in it. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me so I couldn't get a picture, and they have now fledged. Hopefully there will also be some more butterflies soon. I have though had a few peacock butterflies and a speckled wood.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog post Noah , well done on seeing the Willow Warbler

    ReplyDelete